How To Clean your Pearls
1. Wipe your pearls with a soft cloth after every wear. This will help prevent any build-up of oils or other substances that may have come in contact with your jewellery while wearing it.
2. Clean them with a damp cloth only as needed. If your pearls are visibly stained, you can mix a solution of lukewarm water and mild dish washing detergent, dip a soft cleaning cloth in it and wipe the pearls. Do NOT submerge a pearl necklace in water, as it will weaken the silk thread.
3. Let them dry thoroughly before storing them away. This helps preserve the elasticity of the silk strand.
4. Take them to your jeweller once a year. While you want to wear your pearls often to keep them hydrated, all that body oil doesn’t do the silk thread any favours. Make sure to have your jeweller check the integrity of your pearl bracelets and necklaces once a year. They can also give them a thorough, safe cleaning.
Never clean pearls with a steam or ultrasonic jewellery cleaner. Both of these methods are likely to damage the outer layer of the pearl.
Tip: “Cultured pearls should be strung with a knot between each pearl, this keeps the pearls from rubbing against each other and prevents the pearls from cascading to the floor if the necklace were to break.
Pearl Maintenance Tips
Pearls are commonly passed down to become a treasured family heirloom. To make sure your pearls last long enough to achieve heirloom status, follow these maintenance tips:
1. Last on, first off. Pearls should be the final touch to your outfit. Avoid applying makeup, hairspray, lotion or perfume once your pearls are on.
2. Store them flat. While it’s perfectly acceptable for most necklaces to be hung on a cute jewellery rack, your pearl strands should not be. Store pearl necklaces flat to prevent them from stretching.
3. Dedicate a space just for your pearls. Soft pearls are prone to scratches, so store them separately in fabric-lined compartments.
4. Wear your pearls often. Pearls do best in a moist environment, so wearing them frequently keeps them from drying out.